Hope springs eternal

April 2, 2010

Hope humbly then; with trembling pinions soar;
Wait the great teacher Death, and God adore.
What future bliss He gives not thee to know,
But gives that hope to be thy blessing now.
Hope springs eternal in the human breast:
Man never is, but always to be, blest.
The soul, uneasy and confin’d from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

Essay on Man by Alexander Pope

Living in Chicago teaches you that even though there seems to be no end to the miserable winter, spring will arrive eventually. And when it comes it is the most glorious, blissful sight.

It teaches you to appreciate spring when it finally arrives overnight, without warning, because it soon disappears as stealthily and as suddenly as when it comes.

It teaches you the strength of human spirits and will, part of which depends on our ability to forget the physical pains and sufferings that we went through even while we have vivid memories of the ordeals. Of which, child birth is a prime example: if we could remember the pain physically, we would have all stopped at one child.

Wicked Shawn April 3, 2010 at 12:06 am

…….and one relationship……one bicycle ride……one best friend as young girl…….one classic novel…….

Beautiful post, as always!!
.-= Wicked Shawn´s last blog…In Case Of Emergency =-.

naptimewriting April 3, 2010 at 10:23 am

Heck, if we heeded the pain of every day we’d stop at one child. Spring *is* a lovely reminder of why we don’t give up in the snow—the wonders never cease, do they?
.-= naptimewriting´s last blog…Then and now =-.

secret agent woman April 3, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I love the time of year when things are just starting to bud. So much promise.
.-= secret agent woman´s last blog…Not so fast… =-.

Elly Lou April 3, 2010 at 12:16 pm

For what it’s worth – you write beautifully when you are full of reflections.
.-= Elly Lou´s last blog…Further Proof I Should Plan Ahead =-.

Kristen @ Motherese April 3, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Ahh, yes, spring seems to have arrived in this corner of the Midwest as well and it is heavenly. Just being able to walk to the mailbox without tensing against the cold wind feels like a gift. (Of course right now it’s in the 70s, but with thunder and lightning – oh well, I’ll take it over a blizzard any day!)
.-= Kristen @ Motherese´s last blog…School’s Out =-.

mrsblogalot April 3, 2010 at 5:14 pm

So much hope around every corner if we just look for it. I found it here today! You and this post are beautiful!!! xoxooxM
.-= mrsblogalot´s last blog…Now Hear This! =-.

Terresa Wellborn April 4, 2010 at 12:10 am

Spring signifies much. Especially when one spends the winter under a blanket of snow and sleet (I can only imagine it!)

I loved your thoughts in this, they are so poetic, elegant.

“It teaches you to be grateful to the wonders that are unfathomable yet are within your reach.”

Thank you, this post feels near holy in its truths & beauty.
.-= Terresa Wellborn´s last blog…Kaleidoscope life =-.

Jane April 4, 2010 at 7:09 pm

What a beautiful tribute to spring! Loved this post – Terresa said it best, so elegant!
.-= Jane´s last blog…Out Of Touch Mom Gets Lesson In Pop Teen Culture =-.

subWOW April 4, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Thank you. You all are too kind! My goal was to not make any grammatical mistakes since I know I am surrounded by teachers and writers and oh you have pet peeves, yes you do! 😉

Robin April 5, 2010 at 8:30 am

One of the great things about photography is it is forcing me to appreciate the world around me when I never really did before. Now I notice every bud that pops out and the extra sunlight.
.-= Robin´s last blog…My Bumper Sticker Dilemma =-.

subWOW April 6, 2010 at 8:01 am

So true!!! Not that I am a photographer, but looking at the pictures by you and the others, I am always amazed by the attention and appreciation paid to the smallest things, many of those we never even think to lool at.

Falling April 7, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Huh. Who’d-a thunk it was possible to make me miss Chicago springtime? You are gifted.
.-= Falling´s last blog…In Case You Want a Reason To Scratch Out Your Own Eyes =-.

subWOW April 7, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Here is a healthy dose of reality: as soon as I posted, the temperature dropped. It’s rainy and cold again. There was a hail storm the other day too. Now, do you still miss Chicago? LOL