“precisely ninety-one centimeters from himself”

March 17, 2010

in random

“Having been struck by a 150-ton meteorite, Henry has to adapt to living precisely ninety-one centimeters from himself.”

Once in a while, you come across something that so resonates with you to the point of altering your reality. Or your perception of reality. It’s like, all of a sudden, you can see yourself more clearly. You understand what is going on inside your head. You see what the root of your problem is. Yet to explain that something, or how or why, is completely beyond your command with words. Haunting. That is all you can think of.

Tautology: using something incomprehensible to explain something incomprehensible.

Exactly 91 cm away from himself...

I came across something yesterday.  The Bloggess mentioned it as “Painfully poignant: you should watch this”.  So I did. And I have not been able to stop thinking about it. Have not been able to stop crying actually.

If you have ever questioned who you are, where you are, what you are, why you are. If you live with the haunting that you may not be yourself. Or that if you are, then who is this other person. If you ever feel/fear that if you lie still long enough, you will for sure float outside of your body and look down back on yourself lying in bed, and you are scared that you may not recognize yourself. If you could almost precisely predict when you will have an existential breakdown.

If you wonder what it is like to have such chaotic thoughts inside your being. Watch this.

Jenny, Bloggess March 17, 2010 at 2:47 pm

“Haunting”. Exactly.

Velva March 17, 2010 at 6:18 pm

This is deep. I am not sure I have the energy to alter my reality.
.-= Velva´s last blog…Sticky Grilled Drumsticks with Plum Sauce =-.

Fuck Yeah, Motherhood! March 17, 2010 at 6:26 pm

I wish there were a better clip available, but this leaves me thinking about this scene from “I Heart Huckabees”:

.-= Fuck Yeah, Motherhood!´s last blog…Okay, But, You Guys, In My Defense, You Can Almost HEAR The Eyeliner And Nail Polish =-.

Elly Lou March 17, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I’ve been thinking about it for days, too. “I’m here. Over here.” I’ll get back to you just as soon as I figure out where “here” is.
.-= Elly Lou´s last blog…No Mom, It’s Not About Heroin =-.

secret agent woman March 17, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Interesting. I can’t say it fits with the schizophrenics I’ve worked with – it seems more like a philosophically-minded person’s thoughtw about de-realization.
.-= secret agent woman´s last blog…The rest of the road trip. =-.

TheKitchenWitch March 18, 2010 at 6:51 am

Wow. That thing sort of blew out some of my brain cells. Not that I had that many to start with…
.-= TheKitchenWitch´s last blog…White Trash Motherlode: Pimiento Cheese Spread =-.

William March 18, 2010 at 8:26 am

I would use the word “Inspiring”

Jack March 18, 2010 at 1:08 pm

There is a little food for thought.
.-= Jack´s last blog…Words on a Page =-.

lagunatic March 18, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I’m afraid to watch it – I don’t need an extra push.
.-= lagunatic´s last blog…I need some tweezers right now =-.

Jane March 18, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Haunting, yes. And oh so very, very sad.
.-= Jane´s last blog…Jane Is Boycotting Self-Aggrandizing Blogs And You Should Too =-.

Stephanie March 18, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Watched it twice. Haunting and sad yes, but also makes you appreciate…
.-= Stephanie´s last blog… =-.

Wicked Shawn March 19, 2010 at 5:04 am

I watched it yesterday and just couldn’t respond. As I have so recently watched my grandfather slip, I must say, I wish it went more like this for him. This sudden movement of 91 centimeters. The meteor crash. The poetic movement of one’s self from the space they had once occupied. It doesn’t make me sad. It makes me hopeful I hope that if I ever begin to slip, ever begin to lose my grip, I do it 91 centimeters at a time, rather than one person at a time, or 10 years at a time. Yes, I definitely prefer 91 centimeters.
.-= Wicked Shawn´s last blog…What Ashley Judd and I Have In Common =-.

Diane March 19, 2010 at 6:06 am

I can’t watch it. I’m afraid to watch it. I saw The Butterfly Effect three nights ago and it’s still freaking me out. I don’t think I should watch it.

A Vapid Blonde March 19, 2010 at 11:27 am

I don’t know anyone who knows where they are at all times. It is beautifully haunting.
.-= A Vapid Blonde´s last blog…Mexican Doritos, Golden Showers And The Chupacabra =-.

Jennifer Lynn March 19, 2010 at 11:43 am

This would require that you knew where you were to begin with…and that is usually just a facade to ease the motion sickness.

Maybe the world shifted 91 centimeters and he stayed in place?

Who, Where, What, and Why you are……are all evolving answers that may be pinned down for moments or years but not forever…..so aside from reflecting on history and orienting your movement, why try so hard?
.-= Jennifer Lynn´s last blog…Selling A Home and Losing Your Base. =-.

Jen @ NathanRising March 20, 2010 at 11:06 am

I feel that way a lot. Does that make me crazy?
.-= Jen @ NathanRising´s last blog…Because I’m Tired of Creaking =-.

dufmanno March 20, 2010 at 9:28 pm

It’s a rare occasion that I find myself without anything to say , but I’ll just tell you that was great.

Unknown Mami March 21, 2010 at 9:53 pm

All I got is: WOW!
.-= Unknown Mami´s last blog…Sundays In My City =-.