Contract

February 22, 2010

in no manual for parenting

My husband is out of town again. Well, since he travels 50% of the time, as dictated by his contract, there is always 50-50 chance he is on the road. He’s sort of like George Cloony in Up in the Air, but without the dashing good looks.

(Oh, I love you honey. I just need to say THAT ’cause it is not nice to brag on the Internet…)

I brought this up because I wonder whether the following would have happened if my husband were home right now.

Mr. Monk just wrote something on a piece of paper that he did not want me to see. Upon completion though, he came to me with the paper and demanded,

“Mom. Sign THIS!”

“What is it?”

“Just sign it!” He covered up the words while pushing a pen towards me. Yet another lawyer in the making. I’m going to be well taken care of in my old age…

So… what do you think? Should I sign it or not?

Sign here, please

p.s. I did “consult” with my husband regarding the proper response to this. Here’s the IM between us:

me: Hey dude
your son is making me sign a contract
which says,
get this
wair [sic] for it!
“You will never remarry somebody else other than dad”

Him: wow
cool

me: WHAT?!
WTthebeep?

Him: what if i die?

me: He’s insisting that I sign it.

Him: hehe

me: ugh
ARGH
you guys
ganging up on me

Him: do it or crush his dreams and hopes
haha

me: Thanks
I don’t have enough guilt already
You rock man.
Bye

Kristen @ Motherese February 22, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Hilarious!

I say, sign it. Technically, I think you’re safe either way since you can only REmarry your husband, right? You’re not giving up your rights to marry someone else for the first time… :)
.-= Kristen @ Motherese´s last blog…Not a Boy and Not a Man =-.

Absence Alternatives February 23, 2010 at 9:35 am

BRILLIANT!!!!

Are you an attorney? Great catch! (And if you are, I am sorry about the bad lawyer jokes… LOL)

Amber February 22, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Umm I’m gonna have to go with Kristen on this one. : )

Kudos to his cleverness!!
.-= Amber´s last blog…Dreary and Dark Vs. Cheery and Bright =-.

BigLittleWolf February 22, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I think this is very sweet! (And Kristen caught the technicality.)

Terresa Wellborn February 23, 2010 at 12:33 am

Great stuff, this, from the note to the texting conversation. I’m wondering towards the day one of my 4 kids does this.
.-= Terresa Wellborn´s last blog…My niece’s big fat Mormon wedding =-.

Andrea February 23, 2010 at 4:59 am

Lol! Adorable! Yeah, I think you kind of have to sign it. Maybe you can add your own stipulations in later? 😉
.-= Andrea´s last blog…"Seven Nation Army" =-.

Wicked Shawn February 23, 2010 at 5:46 am

I totally sign it, then I suggest he prepare one for daddy too. Only when he prepares daddy’s, I point out the grammatical error. 😉
.-= Wicked Shawn´s last blog…Love Letters of Camelot…….. =-.

Diane February 23, 2010 at 5:56 am

I think you should write some short stories about Mr. Monk. He is the cutest little bugger ever. :) I love your stories about him.

Life with Kaishon February 23, 2010 at 7:12 am

You gotta love kids : )
Love your conversation with your husband regarding this : )
PS I am sure he is even cuter than George Clooney : )
.-= Life with Kaishon´s last blog…It’s Official: We love her! =-.

Absence Alternatives February 23, 2010 at 9:36 am

Oh thank you! Your comment will help towards my making a case for dragging him into my bloggy world. 😉

Merrilymarylee February 23, 2010 at 8:08 am

The inner-workings of that child’s mind must be a wonderment! That is SOOO sweet!
I hope he will require Dad to sign a similar contract! You may want to check on that before you sign.
.-= Merrilymarylee´s last blog…Squirrely Olympics =-.

Robin February 23, 2010 at 8:46 am

Tricky little bugger.
.-= Robin´s last blog…How I Do Things =-.

Jane February 23, 2010 at 9:17 am

This is too cute! I love the little notes my kids write – but none have been as clever as this one. And I’m now wondering if Kristen is a lawyer – great job catching to loophole!
.-= Jane´s last blog…Just A Little Something I Need To Get Off My Chest =-.

Absence Alternatives February 23, 2010 at 9:38 am

I should definitely request that he make a contract for daddy to sign. :-) Without the loop hole of course. Bawhahaha.

Chris February 23, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Who’s Eles? And why can’t you remarry him?
.-= Chris´s last blog…Sascha Brastoff =-.

TheKitchenWitch February 23, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Yep. You need a corresponding contract for dad. :)

Love your kid. He’s saucy.
.-= TheKitchenWitch´s last blog…White Bean Dip with Roasted Garlic and Rosemary =-.

Elly Lou February 23, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Props! He said “somebody else” instead of “another man.” Mr. Monk is down with the lesbians. Go grrrrl.
.-= Elly Lou´s last blog…All About Me =-.

Absence Alternatives February 23, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Yet another loophole! Good catch!

And I have to say, now that you pointed out, I am very proud of my child: I guess all that gender-equality talk is working its way into his psyche…

Miss B February 23, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Who cares about the remarriage issue — he doesn’t say anything about fun dirty stuff or shacking up with someone, so I think you’re pretty safe signing that, really.
.-= Miss B´s last blog…Scales =-.

Velva February 23, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I am laughing but, I can’t seem to come up with a witty response-Oh what the hell, just sign it. The letter just says remarried…….There is a lot you can do without getting remarried :-)
.-= Velva´s last blog…Spicy Boxing Chicken with a Chili and Lime Dipping Sauce =-.

Unknown Mami February 24, 2010 at 2:25 pm

It doesn’t count if you had to sign it under duress.
.-= Unknown Mami´s last blog…I Forgot Who I Was =-.

Michele February 24, 2010 at 2:48 pm

That is sooo awesome!!!

OMG, I’m gonna be snickering about that all day 😉
.-= Michele´s last blog…Buckethead Beauty =-.

secret agent woman February 24, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Ah go ahead and sign it – it’s not legally binding! :)
.-= secret agent woman´s last blog…Rules are important. For other people. =-.

Jen @ NathanRising February 26, 2010 at 10:18 am

WAAAAY TOO FREAKING CUTE!!!!!
.-= Jen @ NathanRising´s last blog…Mommy Brain =-.

Shelli February 27, 2010 at 1:56 am

I’m pleased that he spelled “than” correctly! He’s better at it than most of the people I know who post stuff on Facebook! 😀 I think you’ve gotten some fine legal advise here. Way too cute, the kid!
.-= Shelli´s last blog…Hibernation =-.