How I relax

February 9, 2010

Visual Representation of My Thought Process

To all the people watching, I can never thank you enough for your kindness to me, and I’ll think about it for the rest of my life. All I ask of you is one thing: Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism: it’s my least favorite quality, and it doesn’t lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.

– Conan O’Brien

p.s. The picture is from our vacation in Maui in 2008. It was warm. No snow. I was on vacation. No work. My job was secure then. No impending doom. And my kids were still just kids. No freaksoid preteen (Such a category is not even named in Chinese so how do you expect me to deal with this phase?!).

p.p.s. Great. The picture was supposed to help me relax. Now it simply reminds me of things that once were.

p.p.p.s. If I were given $32 million dollars, I could probably also afford to be un-cynical.

p.p.p.p.s. Ok. That sounded VERY cynical.

p.p.p.p.p.s. Sorry. Coco.

Amber February 9, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Do you think we can get $32 million dollars in severance pay if we decide to “retire” from parenting early?

Just wondering.

(No, that was not cynical. It was honest. So not the same thing.)
.-= Amber´s last blog…In Honor of Doppelganger Week (So What If It Has Already Passed!) =-.

Amanda@Brilliant Sulk February 9, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Silly Coco.

I think I’m sort of kind and some not so amazing things have happened to me. Cheer up! Soon the snow will be gone and it will be hot, humid and 200 degrees outside.

Silly global warming.
.-= Amanda@Brilliant Sulk´s last blog…Are You Out? =-.

Jane February 9, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Cynical or not, I’m glad you’re back. I missed you!
.-= Jane´s last blog…So Hard On Ourselves, Why Are We So Hard On Each Other? =-.

Mrsblogalot February 9, 2010 at 5:51 pm

32 million can buy a lot of happy inner voices.

I get the other ones for free(-:

Is it spring yet?
.-= Mrsblogalot´s last blog…The Secret Is Out =-.

secret agent woman February 9, 2010 at 6:41 pm

I had a similar sort of cynical thought. I’d be happy to cut m cynicism to a minimal level if Conan wants to share, though.
.-= secret agent woman´s last blog…The hell with Punxsatawny. =-.

Devon February 9, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Tell it!
.-= Devon´s last blog…Freaking Out =-.

Terresa Wellborn February 9, 2010 at 7:29 pm

No cynicism here, just slow, deep breaths towards an uncertain future. And, as I like to say, continue to let your dreams blaze even in the sleet of crazy.
.-= Terresa Wellborn´s last blog…POEM: The Gift by William Stafford =-.

Velva February 9, 2010 at 8:27 pm

A little cynicism never hurts anyone…A lot cynicism maybe, a little.
I think you need to keep conceptualzing the above photo so that you may actualize another vacation that does not include freakazoid teenagers and work. :-)
.-= Velva´s last blog…Tallahassee Cooking Club, January 2010 =-.

Wicked Shawn February 9, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Ah, yes, words of wisdom from someone who has become ridiculously wealthy by making fun of others. Now getting paid to choose not to continue to work. I will also not be cynical if my life takes that sort of rough turn. I am sure we could all agree to not be cynical given that were our big hardship right now. As it is, we face challenges of somewhat different circumstances. Ones where a little cynicism may just bring a twisted little smile to our face at times. So, when Conan knocks upon your door with a super qualified, pre-vetted au pair and the money for you to take that vacation sans children, lose the cynicism and follow all of his advice. Until then, breathe through your days and know that doing your best is the best.
.-= Wicked Shawn´s last blog…Wicked Girls…….We Aren’t Your Target Audience =-.

Miss B February 10, 2010 at 12:20 am

Yes, it makes me feel very sincere and uncynical when wealthy successful people who don’t actually require jobs or anything based in reality tell me that happy thoughts and a good attitude can take me anywhere I want to be. Go team!

*ahem*

In completely unrelated news — just caught the beginning of that Rick Baylis (Bayles? Baliss?) Mexico – One Plate At A Time show on PBS. And it started out super, super creepy. He was in this weird cut-off-sleeved shirt and pajama pants, and he is making breakfast for his uber-creepy grown-up daughter (I wonder if they are actually father/daughter, because their relationship dynamic always strikes me as very, very…_off_), and he sits down next to her and is all “Is there anything better than a torta for breakfast?” And she (also pajama-ed) says “Oh, I love your tortas anytime. In fact, I could eat them…All. Day. Long.”

Ick ick ick ick ick. I feel dirty.
.-= Miss B´s last blog…Nineteen Months =-.

honeypiehorse February 10, 2010 at 3:47 am

Conan O’Brian said not to be cynical??
.-= honeypiehorse´s last blog…Cupcakes =-.

Andrea February 10, 2010 at 6:17 am

Beautiful picture – I can’t believe it’s real. It reminds me of one on the ceiling of my ob/gyn’s office — the one they put up to take your mind off what’s happening to you at that very moment? *Shudder* It’s not the picture’s fault though. It’s still a lovely picture. :)
.-= Andrea´s last blog…"Stand by your man" =-.

TheKitchenWitch February 10, 2010 at 8:15 am

That picture just makes me sigh. And I’m with Jane. Cynical or not, the blogworld is a lot more fun with you in it.
.-= TheKitchenWitch´s last blog…White Trash Motherlode: Crabmeat Appetizers =-.

Kristen @ Motherese February 10, 2010 at 9:26 am

Love this post and this array of comments from some fellow cynics – many of them known to and adored by me.

In my experience, life is made more complete by embracing the contrasts: light and dark, happy and sad, and, yes, cynical and optimistic. After all, how much more delicious are those sweet moments when we also know the sour ones?

Unknown Mami February 13, 2010 at 12:47 pm

You cynic!
.-= Unknown Mami´s last blog…Fragmented Fridays =-.

Falling February 13, 2010 at 11:53 pm

Aw, I wish I could give you a hug.

You know, in Maui.
.-= Falling´s last blog…Insert Clever Title Here =-.

KeepingYouAwake February 15, 2010 at 11:35 am

Fucking cynics. Wait, was that cynical? Dammit. I can’t tell when I’m doing it and when I’m not.
.-= KeepingYouAwake´s last blog…Self-Humiliation and Pictures =-.

Absence Alternatives February 15, 2010 at 7:51 pm

In addition to a new punctuation mark for sarcasm, we also need one for CYNICISM! Just sayin…

Jen @ NathanRising February 15, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I love that picture.
And everyone needs a little cynicism in their lives. Because life is not a bed of ROSES.
Me? Cynical? Naaaaahhhh.

-Jen
.-= Jen @ NathanRising´s last blog…Happy Valentine’s Day! =-.

Absence Alternatives February 15, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I like to call myself a gullible cynic ’cause I do want to believe that people are good but I also sometimes believe that people are selfish (EVOLUTION!)

Shelli February 16, 2010 at 2:07 am

Ah, $32M that I could pay someone to shovel me out of this damned snow. Better yet, buy a house in Florida! Cynical and sarcastic … my 2 favorite words! Well, after ice cream and free money, that is.
.-= Shelli´s last blog…Hello Again! =-.

Absence Alternatives February 16, 2010 at 9:39 pm

LOL. Free money. Definitely.