Ok, Sarah Palin, you got me! Now what?

December 26, 2009

in through the looking glass

I am in Alaska. More specifically, I am sitting on the plane on the runway. In Anchorage. We have to make the emergency stop here because a passenger passed out en route to Narita. Although he looks rather young, he apparently has suffered a heart attack recently. He is also traveling by himself, with TWO young children. After they revived him, they decided that he needs to be checked out. So off to Alaska we go.

Sigh. I am praying so hard I don’t miss my connecting flight that I am on the verge of crying.

It must have something to do with me making fun of Sarah Palin. Or me making fun of my father-in-law getting the book Going Rogue as a surprise Christmas present. Or in fact, me making fun of him wearing a hat from Alaska this morning.

“So the hat. Are you wearing that to honor Sarah Palin?”

“Oh yeah. I even went to Alaska to visit her.”

“So did you see Russia when you were there?”

Well, I can tell ya, I cannot see Russia from where I am sitting.

Sigh.

Update: It is 3 am on 12/27 in Taipei. I have been here in the apartment that my parents live with my nephews since 11 pm. They wanted to feed me all sorts of food. I just wanted a bowl of white rice. And ramen noodles my mom cooked. Here is the view from the plane overlooking the snowy mountain when we flew into Anchorage. It is majestic. I guess this must be the silver lining if any could be found for the detour… I pray the man and his children are ok, that they also managed to find some silver lining to this awful and stressful experience…

The view from the plane when flying into Anchorage

{ 1 trackback }

In which I complain about my seat on the plane… *yawn*
January 4, 2010 at 11:47 pm

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

magda December 26, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Is your family in Japan or Narita is en route to your destination? Even from LA, that is a painfully long flight. I recommend you never do it with a hangover. I hope you make your flight. I would be tripping out on feeling inconvenienced by a man’s heart attack causing my own missed flight and the guilt that would come as a secondary feeling for being so selfish.
.-= magda´s last blog…Wordless Wednesday =-.

Absence Alternatives December 27, 2009 at 12:40 pm

My itinerary is all whacked: DC to Tokyo (Narita airport) to Taipei and then back. The very next day I am flying home to Chicago with my 3 boys. We were routed to Anchorage to drop off the patient. I am still thinking of him and esp. of his two kids. That must be so awful and stressful, and if he didn’t have a heart attack before… sigh. I thought about the times when I flew home with the boys on my own and I am thankful that nothing happened to me. It is kind of scary if you really think about what could happen…

magda December 27, 2009 at 5:07 pm

It is scary to think of going down suddenly and your boys becoming instantly more vulnerable and scared. Cool, now, I have another reason for not going anywhere requiring air travel. Oh shit, I just thought of something, this could happen at the market or a mall or a park. I think I will officially commit to agoraphobia. Travel safely. You don’t sound fat at all, by the way. You actually sound quite svelte.
.-= magda´s last blog…Wordless Wednesday =-.

Merrilymarylee December 26, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Awful situation! I’m confused though–I didn’t think you were going to go home for Christmas. Is your family with you?

I hope the man is okay. His poor children must have been terrified. That’s a nightmare situation!

I hope you don’t get stuck in Alaska. Good grief. Where in the world is your connecting flight?
Flew to China with my mother once. She’d never flown before and was horrified when she saw the bathroom. Never used it again–26 hours.
.-= Merrilymarylee´s last blog…Merrily Merry! =-.

Absence Alternatives December 27, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Sorry I couldn’t get you an update sooner. I am now at my parents’ in Taipei. After they tried to make me eat anything that’s in the house, after I told them the Nth time, no I don’t need anything else from the night market or any other restaurant… It is 2:40 am! Then of course, all this was done after they all commented on how fat I am now. SIGH. There is no concept of “tact” when referring to people’s weight over here. ugh.

26 hours?! Oh my.

Mama Zen December 27, 2009 at 8:41 am

I was totally going to ask if you could see Alaska!
.-= Mama Zen´s last blog…Review: Airwear Eyeglass Lenses =-.

Mama Zen December 27, 2009 at 8:41 am

I mean Russia! I’m pretty sure you can see Alaska!
.-= Mama Zen´s last blog…Review: Airwear Eyeglass Lenses =-.

Absence Alternatives December 27, 2009 at 12:44 pm

LOL. I will now post a picture of the snowy mountain that I took when the plane was flying into Anchorage. It’s gorgeous. But I doubt it is Russia. I need a world map…

Elly Lou December 27, 2009 at 12:01 pm

This does not bode well…
.-= Elly Lou´s last blog…WTF Neil Diamond? =-.

Absence Alternatives December 27, 2009 at 12:45 pm

I am here I am here I am here! :-)

Jen December 27, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Came across your site and thought I’d leave a comment. Love the photo. Maybe it’s karma but definitely not Sarah Palin.

Absence Alternatives December 28, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Thanks for visiting and commenting! Probably Karma because I am one of those darn bleeding-heart liberals. 😉 Have a wonderful happy new year!

Velva December 27, 2009 at 6:53 pm

Wow! The view is majestic.
Did I read it right, you are only spending two days in Taipei. You could not swing a few more days for more bowls of white rice, ramen noodles that your mom cooked? Enjoy your magical time with your family. What an awesome Christmas present!
Your readers are expecting some blog posts about your travel adventures and journey home.

Happy New Year to you!
.-= Velva´s last blog…Picadillo =-.

Absence Alternatives December 28, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Happy New Year to you too!!!

Unknown Mami December 28, 2009 at 12:14 am

Oh my goodness, what a trip. I hope your return is much smoother.
.-= Unknown Mami´s last blog…Sundays In My City =-.

Absence Alternatives December 28, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Thanks! That’s tomorrow morning. I am dreading saying goodbye…