“The Saddest Kid In The Class”

November 14, 2009

I saw this photo essay on Huffington Post, and it resonated with me somehow. (Actually, not surprisingly…)

The kid’s name is Alex.  A-L-E-X.

I hope s/he is doing ok. I hope the smiley face means this was all done tongue in cheek. Perhaps it is a clever maneuver, a sarcastic comment on, a protest against this ubiquitous school project.

TheKitchenWitch November 14, 2009 at 1:11 pm

I hope the smiley face meant the kid was joking, too, but my heart broke a little. I hope the teacher called Alex’s Mama….
.-= TheKitchenWitch´s last blog…Ina’s Creme Brulee =-.

Yuko (emma_zero) November 14, 2009 at 4:13 pm

I feel for her/him. With that said, in a way it may present hope for this child that she/he can express negativity like this about her/himself. This child is open, and not trying to cover things up, hopefully. As Ms “TheKitchenWitch” said above, people around are trying to get to know the child better.
.-= Yuko (emma_zero)´s last blog…Words =-.

Absence Alternatives November 14, 2009 at 5:28 pm

I am hoping so. At first, I was praying (and for once would not be annoyed) that this was a “staged” photo shoot. If Alex does exist, I am praying also that this is an indication of strength and not self-doubt or even hatred.

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com November 14, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Yikes. That’s upsetting.
.-= Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com´s last blog…An Earfull =-.

mrsblogalot November 15, 2009 at 6:48 am

I hope so also. If not, somebody needs to make an anonymous phone call before those words become worse.
How horrible!!!
.-= mrsblogalot´s last blog…Holy Kidnapping! =-.

Absence Alternatives November 15, 2009 at 7:30 am

@ Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com
Yup. The more I think about it, the more I am worried about this kid. Some teachers do this exercise differently: What if SOMEONE ELSE wrote this for him/her? Probably a hoax. Probably the Balloon Boy. Probably a hoax…

Absence Alternatives November 15, 2009 at 7:33 am

@ mrsblogalot
I didn’t even think that far, but you are right, in the worst scenario with no intervention… sigh. I wonder whether I’d be a tool if I contact HuffPost to look into it…

Absence Alternatives November 15, 2009 at 7:34 am

@ Absence Alternatives
This post was filed under “Comedy” under HuffPost…

Jen @ NathanRising November 15, 2009 at 2:39 pm

My heart goes out to this kid. I had very poor self-esteem when I was a child, so I can empathize with him/her. I can only imagine what is said at home to make him/her describe him/herself so negatively.

However, since this was filed under comedy, I’m gong to don my rose-colored glasses and allow myself to think it was staged…. it’s better than thinking there is a serial killer in the making!
.-= Jen @ NathanRising´s last blog…Mr. Monkey Feet =-.

Absence Alternatives November 15, 2009 at 4:09 pm

@ Jen @ NathanRising
“Serial killer in the making” That was my first thought too!

Jessica November 17, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Wow. Thats more than slightly disturbing.
.-= Jessica´s last blog…a conversation between me and babs, my conscience. =-.