Fall in Chicago. It is back!

October 18, 2009

Fall arrived in our neck of the woods towards the end of September.  That was when I realized our maple tree was the first one on the block to start turning red.

Fall is always short in Chicago

Living in Chicago for over a decade has taught us to appreciate a sunny mild day with a blue sky dotted with big fluffy clouds when we are blessed enough to witness it.   The day is always treated as The Perfect Day.

We have learned to treat the weekends with 50-degree temperature during the long winter with reverence.  All of the sudden the neighborhood comes back alive, people venture outside without their jackets as if it were summer already.

Carpe diem.  We are the experts here.

The first week of October, despite the ominous clouds at the edge of the dome, we decided to go on our annual Pumpkin Farm trip because my husband would soon be away for a 3-week business trip.  It paid off because the temperature immediately dropped down to the unseasonably cold and stayed this way until this weekend.

Maybe the Corn Angels the kids made that day brought Fall back to us…

Corn Angels

Apple picking may still be in the stars for us.

passions and soapboxes October 19, 2009 at 3:38 am

The look like they are in bliss. Love the photos.

Robin October 19, 2009 at 12:47 pm

That looks awesome!
.-= Robin´s last blog ..Here’s A Thought =-.

Jane October 19, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Corn angels? Who knew? I love that picture! And I love the color of the maple trees in fall. They just say fall to me!
.-= Jane´s last blog ..Increase Your Blog Traffic in Just 16 Key Strokes! =-.

Absence Alternatives October 19, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Thanks! :-) Fall is definitely back. I am so happy. Like many of you that I talk to on the Interweb, Fall is my favorite season. All the colors in the leaves makes driving in our neighborhood a new adventure each day.

Velva October 19, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Oh my! I just turned off the A/C and opened the windows this past weekend. Up till now. we have still been mowing the grass and sweating our a** off! The leaves on our trees just fall off when it gets too cold (laugh).

You have a couple of beautiful corn angels!

Really, your dad ate boxed Kraft Macaroni and Cheese?
.-= Velva´s last blog ..Panko-Coated Chicken Schnitzel =-.

Absence Alternatives October 20, 2009 at 10:55 am

@ Velva
Yup, he sure loves that thing. 😉 The fall colors in the midwest: nature’s way to give us a consolation prize since the winter really really sucks here.